Welcome to the IEEE Power & Energy Society Chapter of Connecticut
The IEEE Power & Energy Society is a worldwide, non-profit association of more than 24,000 individuals engaged in the electric power energy industry. PES members are involved in the planning, research, development, construction, installation, and operation of equipment and systems for the safe, reliable, and economic generation, transmission, distribution, measurement, and control of electric energy.
The local chapter provides a great, low cost opportunity to gain exposure to various electric power-related facilities and experts right here in Connecticut. It is also a venue for networking and socializing with other power engineering professionals.
Upcoming PES-CT Activities:
The Schenectady PES Chapter is doing a colloquium with speakers from National Grid, NYISO, EPRI and others.
Focus is on DG, Interconnection and Substation Design.
· Interconnection Process and Requirements - Load Customers
· Interconnection Process and Requirements - DG Customers
· Interconnection Process and Requirements
· DG system grounding and over-voltages
· Substation Ground Grid Analysis and Design
· Open-Source Tools for Power System Modeling
Date: Sept 19, 2014
Location: College Park Hall at Union College, 450 Nott Street, Schenectady, NY 12308
Please contact George Berntsen for details.
Connecticut PES Chapter wins $250.00 for 2010-2011 increase in membership!
In conjuction with the IEEE Outreach Initiative, the IEEE-PES Connecticut Chapter is willing to speak at Connecticut local schools on the topic of Electrical & Power Engineering. For more details or to schedule an event, contact Vice-Chair Jason Philhower.
Chair: George Berntsen; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chair: Jason Philhower; email: email@example.com
Past PES-CT Activities:
- 15MW Bridgeport Fuel Cell Park“
- High Voltage DC (HVDC) and Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS)” by industry expert, Dr. Edvina Uzunovic,
- Lecture, "Geographic Information System (GIS) Integrated Analytics for Preventive Maintenance and Storm Response" by John L. Lauletta, CEO & CTO of Exacter, Inc hosted at Burns & McDonnell
- Lecture, Dealing with T&D Failures by Senior IEEE Member Bill Wessman, hosted by IEEE Member Alisha Chaney (Burns & McDonnell).
- Shepaug Hydro Station Power Plant Tour
- Technical Topic Presentation, IEEE Senior Member Ira Rubin
- New CONVEX Transmission Operations Center Tour
- Micro-grids and the new Connecticut Department of Environment & Energy Program
- US Commercial Nuclear Power and the Impacts of Fukushima to the US Nuclear Industry, Zachry Nuclear Engnieering, Stonington CT
- Protective Relaying Lecture, site University of Hartford
- 2011 PES Meet and Greet, Lido's
- Tour: Connecticut Light & Power Distribution System Operations Center - Berlin, CT
- Tour: Halvarsson Converter Station, New Haven, CT
- Lecture and Tour: Power Electronics Applications in Energy Distribution Systems and Theory of Operation of Grid Connected DC/AC Converter, Vladimir Blasko, United Tech Research Center.