Welcome to the IEEE Power & Energy Society Chapter of Connecticut
The IEEE Power & Energy Society is a worldwide, non-profit association of more than 24,000 individuals engaged in the electric power energy industry. PES members are involved in the planning, research, development, construction, installation, and operation of equipment and systems for the safe, reliable, and economic generation, transmission, distribution, measurement, and control of electric energy.
The local chapter provides a great, low cost opportunity to gain exposure to various electric power-related facilities and experts right here in Connecticut. It is also a venue for networking and socializing with other power engineering professionals.
Upcoming PES-CT Activities:
Technical Lecture - "Grid Integration of Renewable Generation Using PLC Technology"
Please contact George Berntsen (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or to RSVP. Space is limited.
Date: Sept 29, 2015
Connecticut PES Chapter wins $250.00 for 2010-2011 increase in membership!
In conjuction with the IEEE Outreach Initiative, the IEEE-PES Connecticut Chapter is willing to speak at Connecticut local schools on the topic of Electrical & Power Engineering. For more details or to schedule an event, contact Vice-Chair Jason Philhower.
Chair: George Berntsen; email: email@example.com
Vice Chair: Jason Philhower; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Past PES-CT Activities:
- UI Transmission and Distribution Operations Center
- Transformer Lecture - Mr. Minhaz
- 15MW Bridgeport Fuel Cell Park“
- High Voltage DC (HVDC) and Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS)” by industry expert, Dr. Edvina Uzunovic,
- Lecture, "Geographic Information System (GIS) Integrated Analytics for Preventive Maintenance and Storm Response" by John L. Lauletta, CEO & CTO of Exacter, Inc hosted at Burns & McDonnell
- Lecture, Dealing with T&D Failures by Senior IEEE Member Bill Wessman, hosted by IEEE Member Alisha Chaney (Burns & McDonnell).
- Shepaug Hydro Station Power Plant Tour
- Technical Topic Presentation, IEEE Senior Member Ira Rubin
- New CONVEX Transmission Operations Center Tour
- Micro-grids and the new Connecticut Department of Environment & Energy Program
- US Commercial Nuclear Power and the Impacts of Fukushima to the US Nuclear Industry, Zachry Nuclear Engnieering, Stonington CT
- Protective Relaying Lecture, site University of Hartford
- 2011 PES Meet and Greet, Lido's
- Tour: Connecticut Light & Power Distribution System Operations Center - Berlin, CT
- Tour: Halvarsson Converter Station, New Haven, CT
- Lecture and Tour: Power Electronics Applications in Energy Distribution Systems and Theory of Operation of Grid Connected DC/AC Converter, Vladimir Blasko, United Tech Research Center.
- Lecture: Transformer Failures by William Bartley, P.E. Hartford Steam Boiler
- Tour and Lectures at UCONN Center for Clean Energy Engineering
- Lecture: “Challenges of the evolving “Smart Grid””
- Pizza Meet & Greet
- Tour of Waterbury Generation 100MW state-of-the-art Gas Turbine Peaking Plant
- Tour of United Illuminating's new, 345kV Singer Substation, Bridgeport
- Tour of Connvex Transmission System Operations Center, Newington
- Lecture and Tour of 3MW Fuel Cell Power Plant, Torrington
- Tour of Wind Generator, New Haven